Information about illegal gambling, match fixing, underground casinos, and other illegal online gambling statistics are collected from public reports. The value of the illegal gambling market, amount wagered, or amount of winnings collected from the illegal betting market is listed in US Dollars. Click on the information to see information about the illegal activity.
Illegal Gambling Statistics
Why Is Online Gambling Illegal
Illegal Gambling Punishment
- ‘Ndragheta Mafia Illegal Gambling Revenue$1.7 Billion
- Arrests in Las Vegas for CheatingAround 500 people per year
- Cockfight ArrestsAround 100 in California per year
- Cockfight Management$2,000 per day hosting matches
- Cockfight Winnings$15,000 in Los Angeles
- Cost to fix a football match in Croatia$25,600
- Cost to fix a football match in Italy$516,000
- Costa Rica Sports Books$12 Billion wagered per year
- Gambling Arrests – China600,000 in 2009
- Gambling Runner – Singapore$1,566 to $2,349 per day
- Gaming Revenue Unreported in Macau$90 Billion
- Illegal Bets in Thailand$21 to $27 Billion in wagers
- Illegal Betting on Baseball$30 to $40 Billion
- Illegal Betting on College Football$60 to $70 Billion per year
- Illegal Betting on Cricket$50 Billion
- Illegal Betting on March Madness Tournament$2.5 Billion
- Illegal Betting on NFL$80 to $380 Billion per year
- Illegal Casino Profit in Japan$1,969,400 in 17 months
- Illegal Casinos – Greece1,000 locations with 11,000 machines in 2012
- Illegal Casinos – Mexico800 operating across Mexico
- Illegal Casinos in Thailand700,000 to 1,000,000
- Illegal Gambling – Canada$13.9 Billion
- Illegal Gambling – India$49 Billion
- Illegal Gambling – Israel$2.8 Billion
- Illegal Gambling – South Korea$67.3 Billion
- Illegal Gambling Halls in Russia500,000 in 2012
- Illegal Gambling on 2014 World Cup – Macau$645 Million from one ring
- Illegal Gambling on 2014 World Cup – Thailand$1.3 Billion
- Illegal Online Betting in Greece$1.29 Billion
- Illegal Online Gambling – Australia$1.04 Billion
- Illegal Online Gambling – China$562.4 Million
- Illegal Online Gambling – Malaysia$2.4 Billion in earnings
- Illegal Online Gambling – Turkey500,000 bettors, 400 websites
- Illegal Slot Machines – Puerto Rico$200 Million
- Illegal Sports Betting50% of bets placed in Asia
- Illegal Sports Betting – United States$500 Billion
- Laundering Cash Through Illegal Gambling in Germany$155 Million
- Match Fixing of NCAA Basketball Games1% of games
- Match Fixing Profits$15 Billion
- Money Laundering Through Macau Casinos$202 Billion
- Offshore Gambling by US residents$2.6 Billion
- Online Bets Placed At LegendzOver $1 Billion before shutdown
- Online Gambling by US College Students16%
- Online Gambling Websites25,000 sites worldwide
- Online Poker Players in US in 20112 million
- Online Poker Players in US in 2011 after crackdown490,000
- Payments to Drug Cartels in Mexico$10,000 per week in “tax”
- Sports betting by college athletes30% of athletes
- Tax Revenue if Online Poker was legalized in US$42 Billion over 10 years
- Underground Lottery Thailand19,923,643 players
- USA Arrests for Illegal Gambling in 198087,000
- USA Arrests for Illegal Gambling in 200011,000
- Using Sports Betting to Launder Money$140 Billion
- Virtual Casinos in Japan$50,500 earnings per casino
- Whe Whe Gambling in Trinidad and Tobago$350 Million lost tax revenue
Additional information related to illegal gambling:
Generally speaking, gambling is not illegal in the US. That’s because there is no federal law banning gambling throughout the country. That said, the full story is a lot more complicated. The laws that relate to gaming vary from state to state. The term gaming can be a legal term of art that is distinguished from gambling. Gambling is associated with sports wagering, while gaming is associated with card games, dice, slot machines or roulette. In Texas, most forms of gambling or gaming are illegal. Illegal gambling is any type of gambling that is specifically prohibited by state law. Gambling Involves a Bet While most instances of gambling occur when someone bets.
There are many different types of illegal gambling, and some gambling activities may be legal in one context but not another. Casino atlantis gold. Often, different areas have very different rules about what types of gambling are allowed, sometimes resulting in a concentration of gambling facilities in certain areas. Certain types of gambling may be illegal in an area, or the game must adhere to certain regulations in order to be legal. Illegal gambling often takes the form of otherwise legal games put on in illegal venues, which complicates the issue even further.
One of the most common types of illegal gambling involves games that may otherwise be legal in illegal venues that do not have permission from the state to operate. This may include card games, video poker machines, and even simple games involving coins and dice. Generally, informal games between friends are seen as different than underground gambling rings, but in certain cases even social poker games played for money can be seen as unlawful gambling. When a game is not run with the explicit permission of the government in the form of licenses and other documents, it is generally considered illegal.
- The effort is a component of AGA’s “Stop Illegal Gambling – Play it Safe” initiative which is uniting gaming and law enforcement to expose the massive illegal gambling market that preys on consumers, siphons tax revenues and funds violent crime. AGA also launched a new website – StopIllegalGambling.org – to serve as an information hub.
- In the United States, illegal gambling is a federal crime if it is done as a business. However, each of its states has its own laws regarding the regulation.
Certain types of gambling activities are illegal in many areas no matter who is in control of the venue. For example, cock fighting and dog fighting are often illegal because these games are considered unsafe and cruel to animals. Most games that involve animal death or injury are against the law, but betting on games like bull fighting, dog racing, or horse racing is usually considered a different category of activity.
There are a variety of illegal gambling activities that do not involve playing games but rather predicting the outcome of future events in the public sphere like sports games. Any activity can become a gambling activity of this type, including elections, award shows, and the weather. Sports games are usually considered the most popular because there is an element of chance involved in all games. People who take and give out money for this type of gambling are sometimes called bookies, and in some areas must register with the government in order to be legal.
At different times and in different places, various gambling activities have been against the law. In some areas, all games involving the exchange of money are considered illegal, and in certain religious areas, any activity that resembles gambling even without money involved is questionably legal. Illegal gambling can take nearly any form, so long as money or other resources can be exchanged. Certain types of hidden illegal gambling can be very difficult to catch or identify, but all forms involve financial risk of some sort.